Friday, October 14, 2011

White Straw Hanging Light


I cut a bunch of white straws into pieces of varying lengths, and then strung them together with a needle and white thread. I had decided I wanted each string to taper in size, so I made sure to start with the really small pieces. Then I took the inside ring from an embroidery hoop to tie my strings to.

I was a little worried about the straws hitting the light bulb, but I also wanted to cover the bulb better, so I decided to take a smaller hoop and create a tube out of white tracing paper to go on the inside. Then I wrapped a thin piece of white paper around the outside of both hoops, to cover the wood. I created an X out of thin wooden dowels that I punched through the tracing paper, under the inside embroidery hoop. I then placed the larger hoop with the straws attached, on top of the protruding dowels. This way by attaching my light chord to the point where the two dowels cross, I can carry the weight of both hoops on those dowels and hang it all from one point.

For more details check:http://the3rsblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/project-20-week-22-white-straw-hanging-light

No comments:

Post a Comment